New Reduced Pricing in Effect for the holidays. Buy now and save.
Fiber Optic Star Tiles
are the most versatile and simplest fiber optic starfield to install and they are virtually maintenance free. These are high quality acoustic fiberglass with Guilford fabric facing. The light source uses LEDs which are electronically controlled to produce a realistic, subtle twinkling effect.
These innovative fiber optic Star Tiles install in just minutes eliminating the tedius and time consuming process of lay out, drilling, glueing, routing, and terminating each fiber optic line as well as the need for a cooling fan, access, and air ventalation. The twinkling LED illuminator embedded inside the tile combines twinkling and static LEDs along with 3 magnitudes (diameters) of fiber optic to create a realistic, nondistracting star ceiling. Multiple tiles can be fed from one plug-in low voltage power supply and draw only 1/4 watt per tile.
- Allows you to install a starry ceiling without ever even seeing a single strand of fiber
- 2x2 and 2x4 tiles can drop into standard drop ceiling grid or can be installed right over a drywall ceiling with included roto fasterners.
- The subtle twinkling stars put off a light that is reminicint of moonlight
Here is some information you will find useful when installing:
- Fiber Optic Star Tiles operate most efficiently at 6 volts DC. However, up to 12 volts DC can be used. The DC plug must be a standard 2.1mm pin type with the center pin positive. If you are supplying your own power supply, do not exceed 12 volts, the StarTile could be permanently damaged.
- At 6VDC, the 2'x2' and 2'x4' tiles draw 40 milliamps (mA) each; the 4'x4' tiles draw 80 mA each; and the 4'x8' tiles draw 160 mA each.
- Each Star Tile comes with a standard 2.1 mm power jack on a 5 foot cord. Multiple star tiles can be powered from a single power supply by using "Y" splitters.
- We recommend not exceeding 80% of the power supply capacity. For example: a 6VDC, 700 mA power supply will safely power fourteen 2'x2' or 2'x4' star tiles, seven 4'x4' star tiles, or three 4'x8' star tiles.
- For each added tile, add one splitter. The splitters divide one input into two outputs making all the tiles wired in parallel. The input is a 2.1mm barrel jack and the output is two 2.1mm barrel plugs. To calculate the number of splitters, just subtract the number of power supplies from the number of tiles. Example: 14 tiles minus 2 power supplies equals 12 splitters.
- Star Tiles come with numbers on the back indicating the light source twinkling frequency. There are eight different light sources, each with two unique twinkling frequencies. 2'x2' and 2'x4' tiles will have a single number; 4'x4' tiles have two numbers (i.e. 3 4); and 4'x8' tiles have four numbers (i.e. 5 6 7 8). It is best (but not critical) to distribute the numbers evenly throughout your starfield to create the most random twinkling effect.
- 2'x2' and 2'x4' Star Tiles are manufactured with the intent of installing them in a standard grid ceiling or on flush mount on drywall. As such, their actual dimensions are 23-3/4"x23-3/4" and 23-3/4"x47-3/4" respectively.
- 4'x4' and 4'x8' Star Tiles are manufactured with the intent of surface mounting directly on to a ceiling using fasteners. To accommodate the star light source mounted on the back of the tile, installation will require the use of half-inch furring strips mounted on the ceiling.
- To hide the power supplies behind the Star Tiles for a clean finished look, we offer a junction box with recessed outlets. The box accommodates two 700mA "wall wart" power supplies to recess them below the surface level of the ceiling.
- Star Tiles are virtually maintenance free and should last for many years. To clean, use a lint roller to remove dust, lint, and hair.